Porto Marghera, Venice (Italy)
2005 - 2013
Porto Marghera is the alter ego of Venice. Developed starting from 1917 on reclaimed lagoon land next to the "floating city", the new industrial harbor became soon the most important energy and chemical hub of Italy. Around 32.000 workers were employed, in the 1960s, on over 2.000 hectares of petrochemical industries, power plants and docks. Hit by deindustrialization and the restructuring of Italian chemical industry in the 1980s-1990s, the productive system of Marghera has shrunk dramatically since then. The previous industrial landscape is now gradually leaving the stage to the planned green transition. Or, at least, this is the intention.